Everyone remembers being taught in primary school about static electricity, rubbing a balloon on your jumper and then making your hair stand up. We can all admit it was fun, just as fun as rubbing your feet on a rug and then touching a friend to deliver a small static electric shock. However, while these are fun for all ages (mainly children), there are worse consequences that could happy with static electricity. Here’s everything you need to know about the dangers.

Potentially Dangerous Static Shocks

The same static electricity we all got taught in school was fun when we were younger but, it can become a potential danger in the wrong situations. One of these situations could be that there is heavy gas or petrol fumes lingering about, the sparks from the static electricity is enough to spark and ignite the fumes. This could cause a very dangerous explosion. Static shocks can also, in very rare situations be a danger to people with pacemakers.

Static Electricity and Electronics

While the statics state that it is highly unlikely that you would be injured as a result of static electricity, it’s far more likely to cause your computers and office machinery damage by the static discharge.

In simple terms, electrostatic discharge, or ESD, is a tiny miniature version of lightning, this miniature lightning can be just as destructive on circuit boards like a power surge. The ESD’s energy will travel through the nearest object, in this case, it would be the circuit board and destroy critical elements along the way. If you are feeling a small static shock from any of your electrical equipment in your business, you would need to have some electrical testing carried out by a professional electrician.

You should think of it as an electrical storm in your morning cup of tea but there are ways to prevent damage to your equipment from this tiny static electricity:

  • If you are working on electronic equipment then you should be using an ESD wrist band, this helps to discharge the static electricity away from the electronics.
  • Avoid placing synthetic materials such as plastic cups near the electronics. These commonly hold static discharge.
  • Avoid using compressed air to clean any circuit boards.
  • Invest in static proof mats for your office if you have carpets.
  • Restrict any work being carried out on electronics to professionals.
  • Monitor the humidity levels.

Static charges can destroy electronic equipment. So can power surges and lightning storms. You should take precautions to avoid damage by static electricity to your delicate electronics. If you’re unsure about any of your electrics for your business, then you should visit our electrical services page to see how FBS Electrical Services can help Alternatively, you can contact us by calling 020 8133 3459 or emailing us at info@fbselectrical.co.uk